When you think of Singer, you may think of classic sewing machines, however, there’s not much that could be called classic about the Singer CG-590 Commercial Grade sewing machine. It looks quite modern and comes with a host of features not seen on older Singer machines. This unit is fairly powerful and is designed for speed. It also has an automatic needle threader, 18 built-in stitches, adjustable stitch length and width, and a stainless steel bedplate. However the machine has its issues and those expecting a real ‚Äúcommercial grade‚ÄĚ machine may be disappointed.
The CG590 is rated at 3.7 stars on Amazon from some 294 consumer reviews. Reviews on the Singer website itself average about 3 stars out of approximately 20 reviews. These scores are not stellar. Other online retailers show similar mixed ratings.
Those who praise the machine love its speed, however, those same users are quick to note that the speed may be a bit too fast for a novice user. Owners also highlighted the following positive things about the Singer CG590:
– The fast speed is useful for commercial sewing or those who sew a lot.
– It is able to sew denim and other thicker fabrics.
– It runs quietly.
– It travels well and can easily be taken to classes or sewing groups.
– The automatic needle threader is a convenient time saver.
– The self-adjusting tension works well.
– The machine has a powerful motor.
Those who were less impressed with the machine posed the following issues/concerns:
– The bobbin winder doesn’t always wind the bobbins properly.
– The plastic pedal seems flimsy.
– The presser feet break easily.
– Singer support is not helpful with repairs.
– The user manual is difficult to understand.
Others mentioned that the CG590 does not look and feel like it will have the longevity that one might expect from a Singer machine (presumably an older Singer from days gone by). They were also not impressed by the user manual (you will find a link to it at the bottom of this review) or Singer’s customer support.
One of the issues reported by many owners is that the light bulb used to illuminate the sewing area is too dim. Some users also reported that the bulb burned out faster than they felt it should have. In addition, several folks who called Singer were told that replacing the bulb on their own voided the warranty because they opened the casing on their machine. Most users chose to setup lamps on their sewing tables to compensate.
Other problems reported by owners include the following:
– Several people reported that their machines were inoperative right out of the box. They went on to explain that Singer took weeks to send replacement parts. Some pointed out that their machines still did not work, even after receiving replacement parts. Also, the warranty ran out while waiting for their parts, making it impossible to return the machine. Other users highlighted that, when asking for assistance with fixing the machine, Singer required them to ship or transport the unit to an authorized repair facility at their own expense.
– Some owners seemed disappointed that this machine didn‚Äôt handle heavier fabric projects well. Although, those who gave it positive reviews stated that it sewed through multiple fabric layers with ease. We put this ability (sewing through thick fabrics) under the ‚ÄúPros‚ÄĚ as it was much more common to find owners who felt it performed admirably on thicker fabrics, even though a small number of people appear to have had issues.
You can read more owner comments on Amazon if you wish.
One important thing to note is that Singer markets this model as ‚Äúcommercial‚ÄĚ not ‚Äúindustrial.‚ÄĚ Those interested in a machine that can handle industrial projects should consider another model. Also, the high speed of the CG-590 make it best suited for the experienced user. Beginning sewists may find a different model a better choice.
See the video below to learn more about how the Singer CG-590 operates.
The Singer CG590 includes several handy features. Owners praise its power and speed the most. It can sew up to 1,100 stitches per minute and has a powerful DC motor. Other features include:
– Automatic Needle Threader
– 18 Built-In Stitches
– 1 Four-Step Buttonhole
– Free Arm
– Drop Feed Capable
– Electronic Foot Control with Regulating Dial
– Stainless Steel Bedplate
– Top Drop-In Jam-Resistant Bobbin
– Suction Cup Machine Base for Steady Sewing at High Speeds
– Adjustable Stitch Length & Width
– 3 Needle Positions
– Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter
– Automatic Reverse
– Adjustable Tension
– Horizontal Threading
– Box Feed
– 7-Segment Feeding System
– On-Board Storage
– Automatic Presser Foot pressure Control
– Declutch Bobbin System
– Built-in Thread Cutter
– Snap-On Presser Feet
– Stitch Balance Control
– Needle Position Selector
– Stitch Width Lever
– Thread Tension Dial
The CG590 comes with several accessories including 5 presser feet: all-purpose foot, special-purpose foot, blindstitch hem foot, buttonhole foot, and zipper foot. In addition, the machine comes with a pack of 6 needles, 4 class 66 bobbins, thread spool caps, large & small spool pin holders, an extra presser foot shank, a finger guard, a 52-inch foot control, a 73-inch power cord, and an instruction manual.
At about 16 pounds, the CG-590 can be easily transported to different venues. It has a built in carry handle which makes moving it from place to place easier and it is also cabinet mountable.
The CG590 comes with a 25-year limited warranty. However, consumers report that the warranty can be invalidated by simple actions, such as changing the light bulb. Singer support is also reported to be unreliable and take a long time to respond to complaints or questions. In addition, owners state that certified Singer repair facilities are not always easy to find, and shipment charges are not reimbursed by Singer.
The Singer CG590 Commercial Grade Sewing Machine is fast and typically adept at handling thick materials. ¬†It is not too bad a machine for the price, provided that users understand its capabilities and purpose. There are better buys out there however. ¬†Also, ‚ÄúCommercial Grade‚ÄĚ may be a bit misleading and one should not consider this for extreme usage (industrial for example). Also, owners occasionally run into issues with the CG590 and report that Singer customer support is not particularly good.
Sewing Machine Manual
The instruction manual for this model can be found here: Singer CG-590 sewing machine manual.